Background

Search This Blog

Monday, September 21, 2026

Passion vs. Trends

(Image by Stockcake)

As a writer: Would you compromise your passion for trends? I was reading an article the other day about how romance books sell much better than other genre, and how, many readers today prefer writers who write in first person even when they're writing a steamy sex scene. One of the readers who was interviewed said that she only reads books written from first person perspective because she can connect better to the story. She also said that she liked uncomplicated books because she didn't want to think. She just wanted a place where she could escape. So, should all writer rush to write from first person point of view, or write simplistic stories?


As a writer: Okay, let's hold off on that response because I want to introduce something else. I was at a writers conference awhile back, and one of the speakers was a screenwriter named Gary. He was funny, and cracked a lot of jokes. But one thing that stuck in my mind from his lecture was the story he told us about his friend who was also a screenwriter. His friend was looking for work, and started to call around to find someone who was interested in him writing a script about G.I. Joe action figure. He was told that someone else had already been commissioned to do that, but if he was willing to write about this other toy—let's call it Molly—they would consider purchasing his script. Months go by, and one day Gary calls his friend to see how he was doing. His friend said that he was about to hang the doll, and himself, because he was tired of staring at a blank page.

As a reader: Years ago, a friend of mine, who loved to read, and write, gave me a book she had enjoyed reading—Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice. I have never been into vampires unless it's Halloween, and I want to dress as one, but my friend who knew this about me, insisted that I read the book. I picked up the book reluctantly, and before I knew it, I finished it in two days. I enjoyed the writer's voice, and found the plot fascinating. So, Anne Rice drew me into her story, and I couldn't put the book down.

As a business: Yes, writing is also a business, but should you kill your creativity, and write what the trends dictate? It's a tough decision when you have bills to pay. Yet, at the same time, it squashes the creative process. And I'm sure that there are writers out there who write manuscripts that they are not passionate about. There is no judgement here. We are all different, and our needs, and desires are different. Nothing wrong with that.

As for me, I have to be passionate about what I write. Otherwise, I would produce mediocre work, at best. I rather have another job that would support my writing career, than to write just to please others. Because I think if I write an intriguing story, I can open up the readers mind to a whole new world, by drawing them in.

I think a writer's job is not just to tell a story, but to let the reader learn something new, something they didn't know much about. And if done right, the reader can still sit back, and lose themselves without being forced to think. 


No comments: