Background

Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 4, 2024

 

It takes a day to make a friend 


I'm getting ready to go to Dublin soon to do research for a new book. So, my life has been a bit hectic for the past month as I try to get some things out of the way, leaving me little time for social media and blogging. My mom used to be my travel buddy because we got along well on trips, but since she passed away, I travel on my own, and meet people along the way. (Photo credit: Diogo Palhais)
It's hard to keep in touch with those who live abroad. In my lifetime, I have met hundreds of people all over the world. Good-hearted people, fun to hangout with. But at the end of the day, you know that once you leave the country, life kicks in, and you lose touch. Except that once in a while, there comes a person you befriend for a day or two, and you may not talk for years, but you may still reconnect. That happened to me in Hong Kong when I met my friend Dominika. (photo credit: Robert Anasch)
 
We met on a tour with Danny. I wasn't sure if she would even remember me because it has been six years since we last spoke. She lives in London, not too far away from Dublin. She told me long ago that if I ever wanted to travel again, to let her know. So, I texted her, and to my surprise she not only remembered me, but she wanted to meet up for two days. We're both really excited to hangout again. (photo credit: Michal Pokorny)
 
We already made plans for what we're going to do on the first day when we meet. I know that it's just two days, but still...Obviously, I'll be in Dublin for longer than two days. I don't think I'll be doing all the touristy stuff. My main goal is to learn about the Dubliners, their city, and their culture, and to figure out the logistic of where everything is located. It should be an interesting trip. (photo credit: Karsten Winegeart) 


(Photo Credit: Valerie)


No comments: